Saturday 21 July 2012

Finding a routine

When we were in Singapore, I had a great training routine. It helped that I was a stay at home Mom with few morning commitments. Since being back in the UK, it's been much harder to settle into a satisfactory routine.

I've really only been able to average 3 runs a week. I've been pretty consistent with my long weekend runs because I don't want to lose that level of fitness, but fitting in my other runs has been tough.

This week is another 3 run week. Today I'm blaming a toddler who is not 100% well and waking more than once in the night. It's tough to get up for a 5am run when your sleep has been disturbed.

I wouldn't worry so much about running 3 times a week under most circumstances. After all, I am pregnant, have just managed a huge move, and have started a full time job, so a settling in period is expected. And I'm still managing 3 runs - I should celebrate that, right?!

But I can feel the effect it is having on my mood. And that terrifies me. Being realistic, I will not be able to run throughout this entire pregnancy. Issues with my pelvis started around 20 weeks of my last pregnancy. These led to difficulty walking and quite a bit of weight gain. I don't want that to happen again. It helps that I am much more fit and weigh quite a bit less.

But my biggest fear is that my mood will become erratic. I can already feel the grumpies creeping in and I hate that side of myself. When my motivation is waning, then, I'll have to use that as my motivation to just get up and go.


No comments:

Post a Comment